Thursday, February 25, 2016

Utah State University elects its first female student president since 2001

By Braden Clark
Ashley Waddoups, the former student advocate vice-president, has become the first female president at Utah State University since 2001. The candidates were announced live on Thursday at 7 p.m. through Twitter, and live in the Taggart Student Center.
“I’m so grateful for everyone, and for everybody that has helped me,” Waddoups said. “I know my friends, and people close to me, were working day and night, missing classes and so many other sacrifices that allowed me to be here.”
Waddoups will replace Trevor Olsen as Utah State University Student Association student body president, and will become the first female president since Celestial Star Bybee was elected back in 2001.
“I think Ashley has proven herself as the student advocate vice president that she can work really well with students, and she will advocate for the students,” Olsen said.
As the student advocate vice president for Utah State University Waddoups’ responsibilities include representing student concerns to student-government and student services, maintaining relationships with faculty and administrators to bring change, and organizing the Government Relations Council.
“Student advocate is a specific position, but that’s something Ashley will continue to do throughout her presidency, and I’m sure we’ll see great things from her this year,” Olsen said.
“I’m way excited for Ashley, because whatever she does she’s super passionate about it,” said Luis Armenta, who was reelected as the diversity vice-president and worked with Waddoups this past year. “Ashley is a hard worker, and I’m stoked for her to be the next president. I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been a female president since then, but if anyone were to be the next one no one’s a better fit than Ashley. She has specific interests among the diverse students here on campus, and I’m super excited to work with her, again.”
Waddoups held her first meeting as student body president right after her election Thursday night.


No comments:

Post a Comment